Thursday, November 7, 2019

The Fine Art of Magnolia Cemetery

My classmates went to Magnolia Cemetery on Friday, November 1, however, I was sick and could not attend. Instead, I went later the next week with my roommate and a few friends.

The entrance to the cemetery was very subtle and came upon me very quickly while I was driving. All over the area, there were many trees with moss. The layout of the cemetery was very interesting to me. There are lots of war veterans buried here on the right side of the road, and on the left side are more families buried together. 

My experience at the cemetery was very exploratory and peaceful. There were hardly any people there, and several animals were roaming around- it was overall a very wonderful trip. On our trip across the bridge that overlooks the water, we saw a bird on a tree and found it very beautiful and at peace with its life.
Above is the bird we saw on the tree branch.
One of my favorite memorials was that of Louis Manigault's Die, Base, and Cap gravestone. He lived from 1828-1899, dying just one day after his 71st birthday. The reason he is interesting to me is because he was the founder of the Alpha Sigma Phi Fraternity at Yale University.
Above is Louis Manigault's gravestone.
Another one of my favorite memorials was that of Faust Nicholson who lived from 1876-1938. The reason I find his headstone interesting is because of the flag that is next to it. I was not sure what the flag stood for, but after looking it up I found that it was the flag for Christianity. Being of Jewish descent, I was not very familiar with the Christian flag, but seeing this led me to do further research.
Above is the headstone of Faust Nicholson with the Christian flag next to it.
My final favorite memorial was that of Dr. Andrew Simonds Jr. He lived from 1821-1889, dying at the age of 68. His memorial is interesting to me because of its architectural structure. It resembles that of the Parthenon which I find interesting.
Above is the grave of Dr. Andrew Simonds Jr. 
As I mentioned earlier, I went with my roommate and some friends. They had no idea Magnolia Cemetery existed, but we all had a great trip, and will definitely consider going back to explore more of this beautiful land.
Above is a selfie my friends and I took on our walk through the cemetery.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

About Me
My name is Eden Kirn and I am a freshman at the College of Charleston. I am from Tallahassee, Florida. I am planning on studying Special Education to either be a Special Education teacher or a physical therapist for people with disabilities. This blog is about my experience learning about the cemeteries throughout Charleston.